These Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups are a simple, crowd-pleasing appetizer for spring or summer.
Earlier this week I made a colorful pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes. Because I purchased more sun-dried tomatoes than that recipe called for, I thought about a way to use the extras The result: Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups.
Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups:
I don’t know how it is for you, but roll-ups (a.k.a. pinwheels) are one of my go-to appetizers. I love them because they are easy to make and serve. You can also get creative with the filling, and everyone seems to love the flavorful bites.
These Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups are no exception. The basil and sun-dried tomatoes pair perfectly with the spinach, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese.
How do you make roll-ups?
To make any roll-up, simply spread your filling on a tortilla, being careful not to tear the tortilla. Then roll it up and slice it. For these roll-ups, I made a filling that combines cream cheese, parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, garlic, and fresh basil leaves.
I’m not sure if there is an “original” roll-up recipe, but a classic recipe for me are these Tortilla Roll-Ups with Salsa. Over the years, I’ve had fun creating multiple varieties of it. They are linked below for your reference.
If you like this Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Up recipe, you will probably like these as well:
- Tortilla Roll-Ups with Salsa
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels
- Italian Sub Roll-Ups
- Buffalo Chicken Roll-Ups
Given my fondness for sun-dried tomatoes, the Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups were an instant hit at my house. All of the flavors worked so well together. Nom nom nom!
As I mention in the recipe below, these roll-ups are delicious as they are. However, if you want to add a dipping sauce, I think homemade ranch dressing would be just the thing.
No matter how or when you make and serve these Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups, you (and your guests) are going to love them!
Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups Recipe:
Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Roll-Ups
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes - drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup (thawed and squeezed dry) frozen spinach
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 basil leaves
- 2 large flour tortillas
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, minced garlic, and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon half of the filling on each flour tortilla and spread out evenly, being careful not to tear the tortilla. Place 10 basil leaves evenly on top of the filling layer.
- Roll up each tortilla tightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Use a serrated knife to carefully cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange on a platter, and they are ready to serve.