Get the party started with these Tortilla Pinwheels with Salsa. Packed with mouthwatering ingredients and paired with zesty salsa, it’s a combo no one can resist. Perfect for holidays, potlucks, and more.
As the festive season approaches, I’ve been diving into my recipe box, searching for those foolproof appetizers that never let me down. The ones that have everyone congregating around the food table, plates in hand, eyes wide with delight. And you know what? I think I’ve found the perfect one to share with you today. Let’s talk about Tortilla Pinwheels with Salsa.
Whether I’m the host or guest, pinwheels (or as my family calls them, ‘roll-ups’) are one of my favorite appetizers. They are so simple to put together, and they are always packed with flavor. These Tortilla Pinhweels with Salsa are no exception.
While this recipe can be made any time of the year, I decided to dress up my pinwheels for the holidays! With clever stacking and a few “ornaments,” I made a roll-up Christmas tree! It’s fun to do, and the festive presentation will make this appetizer even more appealing to your holiday guests. Let me show you how quickly they come together, plus my ideas for serving them.
Want more Christmas appetizer ideas? You’ve got it! You’ll love this list of the best Christmas appetizer recipes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- There’s nothing like an appetizer that shouts ‘Christmas’ without you having to say a word. The tree shape gives these pinwheels a special festive touch, making your holiday spread instantly memorable.
- If you’re like me and love to keep things uncomplicated in the kitchen, these are right up your alley. With a few ingredients and some simple steps, you get a snack that’s bursting with taste.
- Whether you’re entertaining a small group of friends or the entire extended family, these pinwheels have universal appeal. Everyone will be sneaking in just ‘one more’ before the evening’s out.
- One of the joys of this recipe is how adaptable it is. Want to add some different fillings or spices? Go for it! It’s all about making it your own.
- cream cheese
- ranch dressing mix
- green chilis
- black olives
- green onions
- yellow pepper
- sharp cheddar cheese
- green flour tortillas
- cherry tomatoes
How to Make
Ready to get rolling? Literally! I’ll walk you through the easy steps below. I’ve also provided a full ingredient list and detailed instructions in the printable recipe card below.
- Start by preparing your filling. I shared my favorite combination in the recipe below, but you can get creative with the ingredients and use what you like or have on hand. For best results, make sure the cream cheese is nicely softened so it’s easy to mix things in.
- Once your filling is ready, spread it out on four flour tortillas. I used green ones since I would be stacking my roll-ups to look like a Christmas tree. However, you can use the color and type of flour tortillas you prefer.
- Then, roll up the tortillas and pop them into the refrigerator so the cream cheese will stiffen. This will make slicing them easier.
- Once the tortillas are firm, use a serrated knife to slice the roll-ups.
- To serve, I stacked mine in the shape of a tree. To do this, get a round plate and add a layer of the sliced pinwheels. Continue stacking the pinwheels, making each layer smaller and smaller.
- To decorate the tree, tuck in a few cherry tomatoes and finish the top with a star cut out of yellow pepper. (Like I did for my Christmas Tree Cheeseball!)
- While the roll-ups are delicious on their own, I recommend serving them with your favorite salsa. This will make the flavors pop.
And voila! The perfect Christmas appetizer is ready to serve your guests. I think everyone is going to love these Tortilla Pinwheels with Salsa.
If you enjoyed this tortilla pinwheel recipe and want to try other flavor and ingredient variations, I can help! This recipe is easily adaptable to include whatever you prefer. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Spicy Pimento & Cheese Pinwheels: Blend the cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, pimentos, and a touch of the ranch dressing mix for a spicy kick. Spread on the tortilla and roll up.
- Veggie Delight Pinwheels: Mix chopped green onions, diced yellow pepper, and sliced black olives with cream cheese. Add a sprinkle of ranch dressing mix for added flavor. Spread on the tortilla and roll.
- Zesty Chili & Cheese Pinwheels: Combine cream cheese, chopped green chilis, sharp cheddar cheese, and a dash of ranch dressing mix. Spread the mixture on the tortilla, then roll.
- Mediterranean-inspired Pinwheels: Mix cream cheese with sliced black olives, diced yellow pepper, and chopped green onions. Add a pinch of ranch dressing mix for zest. Spread on the tortilla and roll.
- Cheesy Ranch Pinwheels: Blend cream cheese with sharp cheddar cheese and a generous sprinkle of ranch dressing mix. Spread the creamy mixture on the tortilla and roll.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of tortillas work best for these pinwheels?
You can use any kind of tortilla you like – white, wheat, spinach, or even sun-dried tomato for a pop of color! Just make sure they are soft and pliable so they roll up easily without breaking.
Can I prepare these Tortilla Pinwheels ahead of time?
Absolutely! In fact, I recommend making them a few hours in advance. This allows the flavors to meld together beautifully. Just cover them with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap, and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, stack them up in that adorable tree shape.
I’m not a fan of salsa. What other dips can I pair with this?
No worries! These roll-ups are versatile. You can pair them with ranch dressing, guacamole, sour cream, or even a creamy cheese dip. Whatever floats your boat!
My pinwheels are coming apart. Any tips?
Make sure you’re not overfilling the tortillas. Also, applying a bit of cream cheese or your chosen spread on the edge can act as a “glue” to hold the roll-up together. After rolling, refrigerating them for a bit can also help them stay intact.
Can I add some meat to these pinwheels?
Of course! Feel free to add some cooked shredded chicken, thinly sliced ham, or even some crispy bacon bits for an extra layer of flavor.
More Christmas Appetizers You’ll Love
- Christmas Charcuterie Cups
- Christmas Tree Cheese Ball
- Roasted Garlic Shrimp
- Christmas Tree Cheese Board
- Cranberry Brie Bites
- Cheese-Filled Pull-Apart Roll
Whether you’re hosting a big gathering or just indulging in a quiet evening snack, these tortilla pinwheels are sure to become a favorite! I hope you love them! If you do, please leave a comment and a 5-star rating below.
Want more from Inspired by Charm? Join the IBC Mailing List for inspiration in your inbox! Follow along on Instagram and TikTok for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks at my processes. There’s even more inspiration on Facebook and Pinterest!
Tortilla Roll-ups with Salsa
- 2 packages (16 ounces total) cream cheese, softened
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 1 jar (4 ounces) pimentos, drained and patted dry
- 1 jar (4 ounces) green chilis, drained and patted dry
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow pepper plus a piece cut into a star shape
- 3/4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 12-inch green flour tortillas
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- Salsa for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and the ranch dressing mix until evenly combined.
- Then add the pimentos, green chilis, black olives, green onions, yellow pepper, and cheddar cheese. Stir gently until they evenly distributed in the cream cheese.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture on the four tortillas. Then, using a spatula, spread the mixture on each tortilla in an even layer. Keep the mixture a 1/2 inch from the edge.
- Roll up the tortillas. Set them on a plate and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until firm. Then using a serrated knife, cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch slices.
- Stack in layers to form a “tree.” Garnish with cherry tomato “ornaments” and a yellow pepper “star.” Serve with salsa.