This Homemade Margarita Mix is a delicious and easy recipe for making margaritas at home. Just add tequila!
This past Sunday I took a little trip to visit my mom for Mother’s Day. Since she’s the one who normally does the cooking, my brother and I devised a plan so she wouldn’t have to cook. He made steaks, and I supplied all the fixings, including a big bottle of this Homemade Margarita Mix.
Knowing that Mom likes margaritas, I thought they would be perfect for our toast to her on Mother’s Day.
Because fresh is usually best, I wanted to figure out how to make my own margarita mix and avoid the store-bought variety. To my surprise, I discovered that making a large batch of margarita mix at home is easy!
So easy that I even made a strawberry margarita mix! It’s amazing too!
- sugar – A little sweetness is required.
- freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice – Please use freshly squeezed. The bottled stuff that is sold at the store does not compare.
You’ll also need a few things to turn this mix into a tasty cocktail.
- tequila – You can use whichever brand you like. I prefer a middle-of-the-road brand like Jose Cuervo.
- triple sec – My go-to is Cointreau. Grand Marnier is another delicious option.
- flaky salt and lime wedges – Used to garnish.
How to Make
- Create a simple syrup by boiling water and sugar.
- Mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice and lime juice.
Yes! That’s it.
One important note: For the most flavorful margarita mix, I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice. Fresh is beyond compare!
With your mix prepared, I assume you’re ready for a cocktail.
How to Use
For a classic margarita, I use:
- 3 ounces of margarita mix
- 2 ounces of tequila
- 1 ounce of triple sec
Shake it up with ice and serve in a salt-rimmed glass with a wedge of fresh lime. Oh, my! It’s so good.
If you prefer a frozen margarita, just add the ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
Also, you can adjust these amounts to your own taste. However you fix yours, I’m certain you’ll love this recipe as much as we did.
As I noted in the recipe above, if refrigerated, this margarita mix will stay fresh for up to a week.
You can also create flavored cocktails by adding different pureed fruits, flavored tequilas, or whatever ingredients you like.
More homemade drinks you may enjoy
I hope you’ll try stirring up a batch of this homemade margarita mix. If you do, please leave a comment and a 5-star rating below.
Homemade Margarita Mix
- In a large saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, then remove the syrup from the heat, and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, mix the syrup with the lemon juice and lime juice. Chill once more.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.