Everybody should probably know how to make Homemade Whipped Cream. That’s why I’m sharing my recipe for delicious and easy whipped cream. It’s sure to be a sweet and creamy addition to many of your favorite desserts.
Homemade Whipped Cream
A lot of the dessert recipes I’ve posted on Inspired by Charm have called for whipped cream. This past weekend as I was working on a few new shortcake recipes for the blog, it dawned on me that I should also share how I make whipped cream.
I realize that some of you do not need a recipe for whipped cream. However, I suspect there are just as many of you who may not be aware that you can make your own whipped cream or how to go about it
The good news is that it’s SUPER SIMPLE. The bad news is that you’re going to want to put it on EVERYTHING! Ha!
First, let me tell you what you’ll need, and then I’ll walk you through the recipe.
What is Whipped Cream Made of?
You might be surprised to learn that you only need a few ingredients to make whipped cream at home.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This is required. Make sure it is COLD. If the heavy whipping cream is warm, it will not whip.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: I prefer this over granulated sugar. Confectioners’ sugar adds all the sweetness you could want without the risk of tasting sugar granules in your whipped cream.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is an optional ingredient, but I always use it. I love the flavor it gives my whipped cream. (You can find my favorite vanilla extract HERE.)
How Do You Make Whipped Cream from Scratch?
As I said, this is a SIMPLE recipe. Let me explain ….
Add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
With your mixer on medium speed, whip the cream until it begins to thicken.
Continue whipping for several minutes until the cream is fluffy but not too firm. I like medium-to-firm peaks. This means that the whipped cream holds its shape when spooned or piped on your dessert. Be careful not to over mix the whipping cream, or it will start to separate. (Then you’ll have butter!)
You can serve this delightful whipped cream right away or cover it tightly and chill it for up to 36 hours. I like to store mine in a plastic piping bag (like this one) fitted with a large close star tip. That way it’s ready to use when I’m in the mood for whipped cream.
And that’s it, my friends. You now know how to make your own whipped cream. As you’ll discover, it is SO good! I promise you’ll never want to buy it at the store again. Homemade is hard to beat!
Looking for dessert recipes where you can serve your Homemade Whipped Cream? Try these:
- Strawberry Shortcake (recipe coming soon)
- Mixed Berry Shortcakes in a Jar
- Cinnamon Roll Butternut Squash Pie
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cheesecake
- Mini Peach Cobblers
- No-Bake Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes
Want More from Inspired by Charm?
I’m so happy you are here! Are you looking for more ways to create your happy place? Be sure to join the IBC Mailing List so you never miss a thing. You can also find me on social media for daily updates.
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe:
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream - chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- With the mixer on medium speed, whip the cream until it begins to thicken.
- Continue whipping for several minutes until the cream is fluffy (medium peaks) but not too firm.
- Use immediately or cover tightly and chill for up to 36 hours.