Hot cocoa is a winter staple. This is my favorite recipe for creating a large batch of Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix that can be ready in an instant!
While I was decking my halls, I decided to set up a hot cocoa station in my dining room. That inspired me to whip up a big batch of this delicious homemade hot cocoa mix.
I also found this super cute vintage metal thermos on eBay, and it was begging to be a part of a hot chocolate display. Mission accomplished.
If memory serves me correctly, this recipe came from my sister-in-law who used to make it for my nephews and niece. Now you can skip the store-bought pouches and just whip up a big container of this. It’s great to have on hand for when the mood strikes or company arrives over the holidays.
How do you make hot cocoa mix?
It’s simple. Combine non-dairy powdered coffee creamer, dry powdered milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together. (You can also put all of the ingredients in your storage container and shake well to combine.)
And that’s it, my friends! Your homemade hot cocoa mix is ready!
To serve, place 1/4 to 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug. Pour in warm milk. (You can also use hot water, but I think the warm milk adds to the creaminess.) Stir until well blended. Top with mini marshmallows.
It truly is that easy.
I also have two other variations on this recipe: White Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix and Spicy Hot Cocoa Mix. You can find those here.
This hot cocoa mix also makes a great gift. I would double the batch and portion it out in small mason jars. Tie a pretty ribbon around each jar and add a candy cane, and you’re good to go.
I hope you love this hot cocoa mix recipe as much as I do. Here’s to many a hot cocoa mustache!
Looking for more cold weather treats? Try these:
The Best Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe:
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1 cup nonfat dry powdered milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Miniature marshmallows
- Combine the ingredients, except for the marshmallows, in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Place in a sealed container or divide into individual servings. One serving is 1/3 cup cocoa mix plus milk. Garnish with mini marshmallows.
- To prepare the hot cocoa, place 1/4 to 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug. Pour in warm milk. Stir until well blended. Top with mini marshmallows.