Add character and sparkle to your holiday decorating with this easy, budget-friendly DIY Paper Star Garland. You only need a few items and a little time to craft this unique and festive strand of stars.
DIY Paper Star Garland
Welcome back to IBC! In this post, we are going on a little crafting adventure where you will learn how to make this DIY Paper Star Garland.
If I had an unlimited amount of time during the holidays, I would do significantly more crafting. It’s just such a joy-inducing thing for me. I love hunting down and buying the supplies, I find the art of crafting relaxing and fulfilling, and the end results typically create something unique, handmade, and one-of-a-kind. What’s not to love?
Today I am back with my Seasons of Home Blogger friends. We are all sharing a budget-friendly Christmas decor idea. I thought this DIY Paper Star Garland would be the perfect project to help you add a little handmade festive touch to your holiday decorating. Once you’re done here, be sure to check out all of the other budget-friendly holiday ideas that I linked at the end of this post.
I decided to make a garland because I find them to be so useful for holiday decorating. It can take a basic evergreen garland from boring to extra special. You can even put it on your Christmas tree for added interest.
If you’re feeling extra generous, you could also use this as part of your holiday wrapping! Add a piece to the top of a package for a special, personal touch.
LOOKING FOR MORE FESTIVE HOLIDAY DIY PROJECTS? TRY THESE:
- Scandinavian Gingerbread Wreath
- DIY Bottle Brush Drink Stirrers
- Vintage-Inspired Christmas Gift Bags
- DIY Christmas Cookie Bags
- Cookie Cutter Wreath
- Colorful Wood Christmas Trees
- Wood Bead Garland
I love paying attention to little details like this in my decorating. A unique garland like this can produce the perfect finishing touch.
For my garland, I opted to use vintage book pages and shiny gold paper. I find this color scheme to work well with any decor. However, if you have a specific color scheme in mind, feel free to switch it up and do what works for you. (I’ve provided some other paper ideas in the supplies section below.)
I also wanted you to know that I kept my book page and gold paper usage somewhat random. While the sizes of the stars follow a pattern, how I added in the gold does not.
Okay, are you ready to craft? Let’s start off by gathering some supplies.
Supplies Needed for this Paper Star Garland:
– Paper: I used old book pages and gold paper, but you can use anything you like or have. Feel free to buy colored paper to match your decor, use old magazine pages, vintage sheet music, old photos, etc.
– Star Punches: I purchased this three-pack as I wanted different sizes of stars. However, you can just get one punch, you can use a paper cutting machine to cut out your stars, you can cut them out by hand, you can also choose a different shape, etc.
– Twine: I used this basic natural twine that I had on hand. You can use whatever you have. Even embroidery floss, yarn, jute, etc. will work. Feel free to use a colored twine if you’d like.
– Glue: Basic school glue will do the trick. I’m using this Glue-All which might be a bit tackier, but any basic white glue is perfect.
– Paintbrush: I found a paintbrush to be the easiest way to apply the glue. You could also use a popsicle stick or even apply it directly from the bottle if you’re extra careful.
Now that you know what you need, let’s make this Paper Star Garland!
How to Make a DIY Paper Star Garland:
Begin by using the punches to cut stars out of your paper.
Once you have a good amount of stars cut, lay out a piece of twine on your working surface.
If you’re using a variety of papers or star sizes, take a moment to decide whether or not you are going to create a pattern.
Use the paintbrush to add a small amount of glue to the back of a paper star.
Set your twine on top of the glued surface. Add glue to the back of another star, then sandwich the twine between the two glued sides while matching up the star shapes.
Repeat this process until you have a garland of your desired length.
Generally speaking, I’d say you could craft 6 feet of garland in about 1 – 1.5 hours. It honestly comes together pretty quickly and I just love the end results. I hope you do too!
As always, if you give this craft a try, let me know. Share a picture on Instagram and tag me @inspiredbycharm. I’d love to see your creations!
Seasons of Home Budget-Friendly Holiday Decor:
Now, before you carry on with your day, be sure to check out all the budget-friendly Christmas ideas below. There is so much beautiful inspiration!
How to Elevate Cheap Christmas Ornaments by Ella Claire & Co | DIY Paper Star Garland by Inspired by Charm | Simple Inexpensive Christmas Decor by French Country Cottage | DIY Amber Glass Ornaments by Craftberry Bush
DIY Paper Star Garland Tutorial:
DIY Paper Star Garland
- star punches
- Begin by using the punches to cut stars out of your paper.
- Once you have a good amount of stars cut, lay out a piece of twine on your working surface.
- If you're using a variety of papers or star sizes, take a moment to decide whether or not you are going to create a pattern.
- Use the paintbrush to add a small amount of glue to the back of a paper star.
- Set your twine on top of the glued surface. Add glue to the back of another star, then sandwich the twine between the two glued sides while matching up the star shapes.
- Repeat this process until you have a garland of your desired length.