Cream Cheese Frosting might be my favorite way to decorate a cake. I love the tangy sweetness it adds to almost any cake. Today, I’m sharing my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe. I think you’re going to love it as much as I do.
As I was working on a cake recipe today, it struck me that I don’t have some of my favorite go-to recipes on the blog. You know, those basic recipes that you rely on over and over again. For some reason I assumed that “easy” things like a frosting recipe weren’t “post worthy.”
However, to make sharing recipes easier, and to give you some tried-and-true recipes for your own cooking adventures, I’m going to start posting more of my go-to recipes. I’m kicking things off today with My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
If I could only eat one frosting for the rest of my life, it would be cream cheese frosting. (Well, that or the frosting my aunt makes, but we’ll save that for another day.) There’s just something about a really good cream cheese frosting that gets me every time. Maybe it’s the blend of tangy cream cheese, rich butter, and subtle sweetness.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and salt until light and smooth. This will take about five minutes.
Blend in the vanilla and almond extract. Beat to combine.
Add the confectioner’s sugar slowly, about one cup at a time, and mix until smooth.
Note: While this recipe probably won’t need it, you can add a splash of milk for a thinner frosting.
Of course, this frosting works great on things like red velvet cake and carrot cake, but I’ve used it on plain vanilla cake as well.
I also like that you can adjust the flavoring to make the frosting even more complex. In the fall and winter, cinnamon and nutmeg can give it a seasonal touch. For a touch of spring freshness, you could add some grated lemon zest.
This is a recipe that you can use for lots of things and make in lots of ways. I hope you like it as much as I do.
How to Use this Cream Cheese Frosting:
You can use this frosting on any cake you love. These are a few of my favorite cake recipes:
- Strawberry Coconut Cake
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Ultimate Coconut Cupcakes
- Frosted Carrot Cake Cookies
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake
This truly is perfection on any cake. Happy Baking!
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages (8 ounce each) Philadelphia cream cheese - softened
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter - softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and salt until light and smooth. This will take about five minutes.
- Blend in the vanilla and almond extract. Beat to combine.
- Add the confectioner's sugar slowly, about one cup at a time, and mix until smooth.
- Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve desired consistancy.