Topped with cream cheese frosting, these Ultimate Coconut Cupcakes are a delicious homemade dessert recipe everyone will love. Coconut is baked into the batter and sprinkled on top for the perfect finishing touch.
Of all the cupcakes in the world, coconut ones are easily my favorite. No question about it. And as you might guess, whenever the craving for one strikes, I turn to my go-to recipe. In this case, it’s The Ultimate Coconut Cupcakes.
During the past few weeks, I have been whipping up a lot of things with coconut. I made Macaroon Nests, a Cottontail (Coconut) Martini, and now these cupcakes. It’s coconut heaven at my house. I’m not complaining.
How to Make Coconut Cupcakes:
The recipe for these cupcakes comes from Ina Garten. I’ve made a few tweaks to her recipe (no offense, Ina), but all of the credit goes to her. She featured these on her show way back in the day, and I’ve been obsessed with them ever since.
The recipe below is just for the cupcakes themselves.
You’re going to need some cream cheese frosting (obviously) to go with them. Homemade is best, so be sure to grab My Favorite Cream Cheese frosting recipe here.
If you like coconut, it truly doesn’t get much better than this.
While these cupcakes are delicious in the spring and summer, I could think of an excuse to make them anytime of the year. I’m sure you could, too. Enjoy!
Want unique more Easter dessert ideas? Check out these:
- Bunny Rice Krispies Treat
- Egg Hunt Sugar Cookies
- Carrot Cake Truffles
- Cream Puff Cake
- Coconut Macaroon Nests
These Ultimate Coconut Cupcakes were prepared as part of my Easter Dessert Kabobs. Instead of making traditional size cupcakes, I made mini ones to use on my kabobs.
These creative and colorful kabobs are a fun way to serve dessert for spring or Easter. You can learn how I made them by clicking HERE.
Love this Recipe and Want More?
Join the IBC Mailing List to get all of my recipes, projects, and ideas sent straight to your inbox! I hope you’ll also join me on social media for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks at my work and adventures.
Have you tried this recipe? Follow me on Instagram, then share YOUR dish with #myIBC and tag @inspiredbycharm. It’s fun to see how folks are using recipes from IBC.
The Ultimate Coconut Cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 recipe of My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting* (recipe linked in NOTES section.)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high for about 5 minutes or until it’s light and fluffy. Then, with the mixer on low, add one egg at a time. Scrape down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- In three alternating additions, mix in the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined; then fold in half (7 ounces) of the coconut.
- Fill each cupcake liner to the top with batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the tops are just starting to brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes; then remove them to a baking rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare your cream cheese frosting. (Recipe linked below.*)
- When the cupcakes have cooled, frost them with a spatula or piping bag. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut.