Need a way to jazz up your greens? Within 5 minutes, you can whip up this poppy seed dressing from scratch. This dressing has the perfect amount of both sweet and zesty flavors, making it ideal for salads or even as a drizzle over steamed vegetables.
If you haven’t made homemade salad dressing before, don’t be intimidated. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is. You’ll also be blown away at how much better it tastes. And anything that encourages me to eat my veggies is always a win in my book. 😉
While I wish I could take the credit, I got this recipe from my mom, who has been making it for years. It’s one of my favorites, and it goes well with so many salad recipes. I especially like it on summer berry spinach salad and on my fall harvest pasta salad recipe. SO GOOD!
As with most homemade dressings, this one is simple to make. You just need a few ingredients.
Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need to whip up this recipe:
- Vegetable oil – While you typically will find olive oil as the base for most homemade dressings, I recommend trying vegetable oil for this recipe. It’s a bit lighter and has a very mild flavor that is almost tasteless, so the other ingredients shine.
- Apple cider vinegar – This is where most of the zest comes from! If you don’t have any, you can try subbing it out for lemon juice or white wine vinegar, but this recipe truly tastes best with ACV.
- Sugar – Yes, sugar in salad dressing! It helps balance the acidity of the vinegar.
- Poppy seeds – What would poppy seed dressing be without poppy seeds? You can easily order them online, but if you are shopping in a store, you’ll find these in the spice section.
- Dry mustard – Don’t skip this! It adds a savory, spiced undertone to the dressing that perfectly balances the sweetness and acidity.
How to Make
This may be one of the shortest recipes I’ve ever written! To make this dressing, simply:
- add all your ingredients to a bowl,
- whisk them together to combine,
- serve and enjoy!
Yes! That’s it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this in a mason jar?
You sure can! Just add all of the ingredients to a large mason jar and shake to combine. This is an easy way to make the dressing, as you don’t need to dirty an extra bowl or whisk.
Can this be made in advance?
Another reason to love poppy seed dressing is that you can easily make it ahead of time. When stored in an airtight container (like a mason jar) in the fridge, it will keep for about 3 weeks.
I often will double this batch and use half with my favorite berry salad. Then, I’ll keep the other half in the fridge for a few weeks, drizzling it on whatever strikes my fancy. No judgment!
What does poppy seed dressing taste like?
If you haven’t tried it before, you are in for a real treat! This salad dressing is sweet and tangy and has both savory and sweet notes. The poppy seeds themself add a slightly nutty flavor that is subtle but delicious.
Overall, this is a very light salad dressing. It definitely adds flavor to whatever you put it on, but it’s not overwhelming.
Do you need to keep poppy seed dressing refrigerated?
Yes. Store this dressing in the refrigerator in a sealed container. I recommend removing the dressing from the refrigerator about thirty minutes before serving. You’ll want to give it a good whisk (or a vigorous shake) as well.
How long does homemade dressing last?
This poppy seed dressing will be good for about 3 weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
There you have it. Add it to your favorite salad and dig in!
Speaking of salads, what are your favorites for pairing with poppy seed dressing? Share it in the comments below because I’m always looking for new ways to use this recipe.
I hope you’ll give this dressing a try! If you do, let me know. I’d love to hear what you think.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Den Dressing
- Ramen Noodle Salad
- Butternut Squash Fall Salad
- Homemade Croutons
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Ready to give this poppy seed salad dressing a try? If you do, please leave a comment and a 5-star rating below.
Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. Mix or shake before serving.