The perfect combination of salty and sweet comes together to create these delicious chocolate-covered potato chips. Crispy, salty potato chips are drizzled with chocolate to create an irresistible snack.
A snack doesn’t get much easier than this. What you have here are potato chips drizzled with milk and white chocolate plus a few festive sprinkles creating the perfect snack for a party, game night, movie night, or shared as a gift.
Now, you may be a little hesitant, but I promise you, they are scrumptious. It’s the salty-sweet combo that makes them such an epic treat!
As you can see, I made my chocolate-covered chips for Valentine’s Day, but these chips are delicious any time of the year.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- These chocolate-covered potato chips are so easy to make! You can whip up a batch in no time.
- They make a great gift. Make a big batch, package them in baggies, and give them to friends and family.
- They are addicting. (You’ve been warned.) This is one of those snacks where you’ll keep coming back for more.
You only need a few ingredients to make these chocolate-covered chips.
- potato chips – Lay’s potato chips are my go-to here, but feel free to use your favorite. A crinkle cut would be delicious!
- milk chocolate and white chocolate chips or melting wafers – I prefer to use chocolate melting wafers as I get better results, but chocolate chips will work here as well.
- vegetable shortening – I use Crisco. It helps to keep the chocolate soft.
- sprinkles – While these are optional, I think they are fun to add when celebrating a particular holiday.
How To Make:
I’ll walk you through the steps for making chocolate-covered potato chips. For your convenience, I’ve provided a full ingredient list and recipe instructions at the bottom of this post.
- Spread out a single layer of potato chips onto two baking sheet pans lined with wax or parchment paper,
- Melt your white chocolate wafers with one tablespoon of Crisco. In a separate bowl, repeat this process with your milk chocolate wafers.
- Drizzle the potato chips with your melted white chocolate.
- Add a few sprinkles and allow the chocolate to set.
- Repeat with the milk chocolate. Add sprinkles. Let your chocolate set.
- Carefully flip your chips over with a large spatula or another baking sheet so you can apply more chocolate to the opposite side.
- Once again, drizzle with the white chocolate, allow it to set, then drizzle the milk chocolate. Don’t forget your sprinkles.
- After the chocolate is completely set, gently break up the potato chips into smaller pieces.
- Store in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
Recipe Tips and Variations:
- The amount of chocolate you use is totally up to you. As you can see, mine are more drizzled than covered. Variations such as using dark chocolate or only milk chocolate are fine.
- As I mentioned above, I like the plain Lay’s potato chips for this recipe. However, you can use other brands or other types of chips such as crinkle cut, if that is what you prefer.
- Feel free to get creative and toss in some pretzels, M&Ms, or whatever else you may like.
- Let your chocolate set before switching from white to milk. This is done to ensure that the two types of chocolate don’t blend together.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What types of potato chips work best?
As I mentioned above, I like Lay’s original potato chips. You want to avoid chips that have any sort of added flavorings other than salt. Ruffles are also a great option; feel free to experiment.
How do you store the chocolate-covered chips to keep them fresh?
Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
Can you freeze this snack?
No. I wouldn’t recommend it. As the potato chips thaw, they would become soggy.
More Unique Snacks You Might Like:
- Sweet and Salty Snack Mix
- Pistachio Cranberry White Chocolate Candy
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Puppy Chow
- Crock-Pot Candy
- Salted Caramel Turtle Candies
Ready to give this recipe a try? I hope you enjoy these chocolate-covered chips. If you do, please leave a comment and a 5-star rating below. Follow along on Instagram and TikTok for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks at my processes. There’s even more inspiration on Facebook and Pinterest!
Chocolate Potato Chips
- 10 ounces potato chips
- 2-3 cups white chocolate chips
- 2-3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- Sprinkles optional, but highly recommended
- On two baking sheet pans lined with wax or parchment paper, spread out your potato chips in a single layer.
- In the microwave or a double broiler melt your white chocolate wafers with one tablespoon of Crisco. Repeat this in a separate bowl with your milk chocolate wafers.
- Then drizzle the chips with your melted white chocolate. Add a few sprinkles and allow the chocolate to set.Repeat with the milk chocolate.
- Again, let your chocolate set. Then carefully flip your chips over using a large spatula or another baking sheet, so you can apply more chocolate to the opposite side.
- Repeat drizzling with the white and milk chocolate, allowing it to set in between. Don’t forget your sprinkles.
- Finally, allow your chocolate to set completely. Once hard, gently break up the chips into smaller pieces. Store in an airtight container to maintain freshness.