All the ingredients and flavors you love about an Italian hoagie (submarine sandwich) have come together in this unique Italian Hoagie Dip. Customize this sub sandwich dip to include all the ingredients you love. You’re going to be looking for any excuse to try this tasty dip.
I love a good dip recipe. So whenever I have the opportunity to add a new dip recipe to my collection, I’m totally on board. Today, we’re making this Italian Hoagie Dip.
I first tasted this dip several years ago when my Dad’s wife made if for a family get-together. I have thought about it off and on since then because it’s been on my “To-Make-for-the-Blog” List. Well, the hoagie dip finally made it to the top of the list, and I’m excited to share it with you today.
Why You’ll Enjoy This Dip Recipe
- It’s familiar, but unique. If you’ve ever had a sub before you’ll recognize this delicious flavor combination. But, presented in this way, it feels really unique and special.
- You can customize it. Just like a submarine sandwich you can customize this hoagie dip to include all the ingredients you love.
- It’s hardy. If you want a dip that really fills you up. This is it.
I did not come up with the idea for this recipe. After doing an online search and looking through my recipe collection, I discovered that there are many versions of this dip. So, inspired by all of that, I gathered the ingredients I love and created what I think is a really good Italian Hoagie Dip.
One of the best parts of this dip, and hoagies in general, is that you choose the ingredients. It all depends on what you like and have on hand.
Here’s what I put in my Italian Hoagie Dip:
- Deli ham, chopped
- Genoa salami, chopped
- Deli pepperoni, chopped
- American cheese slices, chopped
- Iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Tomato, chopped
- Banana pepper rings, chopped
- Red onion, chopped
Other things you might want to add: sliced black olives, jalapeño peppers, sweet peppers, and mushrooms.
For the dressing, I combined mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and dried oregano. Feel free to add kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
How to Make
Putting this dip together is easy. I’ll walk you through the steps here. You can also find a printable recipe card at the end of this post which included a full ingredient list and recipe instructions.
- After chopping each item, I toss it into a large bowl. Once everything is cut up, I get into the bowl with clean hands and break everything up. It’s okay if some of the meat and cheese slices stick together, but I like to break things up as much as I can.
- Next, whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour the mixture into the large bowl that contains the chopped ingredients. Toss to combine.
- For a fun presentation, I decided to serve my dip in a bread bowl. However, serving the dip in a regular bowl is perfectly fine.
- Finally, chop up fresh Italian bread for serving. Your Italian Hoagie Dip is ready to enjoy!
Can’t you just about taste this through the screen? It tastes exactly like an Italian sub sandwich! So-o-o good!
I think you’re going to fall in love with this hoagie dip recipe. I have. I’m already looking forward to making it again. Have fun making it AND making it your own!
More Dip Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Sun-Dried Tomato Spinach Artichoke Dip
- The BEST Jalapeño Dip
- Really Good Veggie Dip
- My Favorite Chip Dip
- Out-of-this-World Corn Dip
- Broccoli Casserole Cheese Dip
I hope you’re feeling inspired to try this Italian Hoagie Dip! I know you’re going to love it. If you do, please leave a comment and a 5-star rating below.
Italian Hoagie Dip
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced Genoa salami chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced deli pepperoni chopped
- 3/4 pound American cheese slices chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped banana pepper rings
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 Loaf(s) of Italian bread for serving
- Add all of your chopped ingredients (except for the bread) to a large bowl. Use clean hands to break up any meat or cheese slices that may be stuck together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add the dressing to the large bowl and toss everything so it’s well combined.
- Serve with cubed Italian bread.