Classic flavors of the season come together to create these Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies which are both sweet and tart. This is a Christmas cookie recipe you’ll definitely want to add to your holiday baking round-up!
I kicked off the holiday season last week with my Christmas Q&A, but these Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies are my first official new holiday post of 2018!
This post is extra special because I’m back with some of my blogger friends for the Tastes of the Season series. As you probably guessed, we are sharing Christmas cookie recipes this week. Once you’ve finished checking out mine, be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post where there are 21 more cookie recipes!
Last week as I was planning for this post, I did a quick inventory of the Christmas cookie recipes I’ve shared here on IBC and noticed the collection wasn’t as robust as it should be. Why? Well, because typically I end up making my collection of cookies just a week or two before Christmas when I’m in panic mode. By then I simply want to get them baked so I forget to photograph them and write the post.
While I have posted a few of my favorite cookies in the past, including these Cream Wafer Cookies, Crock Pot Candy, and Cream Horns, this year I plan to offer even more recipes that you are destined to love. Let’s start with Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies.
Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies:
I decided to whip up this recipe now because they also make a delightful treat for Thanksgiving! Cranberry is a classic Turkey-Day flavor. And a plate of these would perfectly complement a pumpkin pie, don’t you think?
How to Make Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies:
These cookies come together pretty quickly once you’ve made the dough and the filling has had time to chill. Just whip up the dough in the evening so you’ll be ready to bake the next day.
To bake, press the delicious orange cookie dough into greased mini-muffin pans. Then fill each with the tart and sweet cranberry walnut filling.
After a quick trip to the oven and some time to cool, drizzle the tassies with melted white chocolate.
When my mom visited this past weekend, we both enjoyed snacking on these in my den as the fire roared and we watched the latest Hallmark movie.
Want more cranberry-inspired recipes? Try these:
You can grab the full recipe below and don’t forget to check out all the tasty and festive cookie recipes linked at the end of this post. Enjoy!
Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate melted
- Begin by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Then cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Next mix in the egg until blended. Add in the orange zest, orange juice, and milk and beat again. (The mixture will look slightly separated. This is okay.)
- Gradually beat the prepared flour mixture into the creamed mixture until just combined.
- Divide the dough into three portions. Then, on a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a 10-inch long roll. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by adding the cranberry sauce, sugar, and orange juice to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, cook for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Let the filling cool completely before stirring in the walnuts.
- To bake the cookies, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Unwrap the chilled dough and cut each log into 16 round slices. Press each slice into the bottom and up the sides of one of the greased mini muffin cups. Fill each with about 2 teaspoons of the cranberry mixture.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Cool in the pan for 5-8 minutes. Then remove the tassies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To complete, drizzle each tassie with melted white chocolate. Let the tassies stand until the chocolate is set. Then pack and store in an airtight container.
Tastes of the Season Christmas Cookies:
The Perfect Soft Gingerbread Cookies by Ella Claire | Classic Sugar Cookies by Nina Hendrick Design Co. | Plaid Sugar Cookies by Craftberry Bush | Buttery Shortbread Cookies with Icing Sugar by A Burst of Beautiful | German Chocolate Cake Cookies by City Farmhouse
Cranberry Orange Walnut Tassies by Inspired by Charm | Eggnog Gooey Butter Cookies by Julie Blanner | All Natural Orange Almond Cookies by Tidbits | Choco-mallow Peppermint Cookies by Summer Adams Designs | Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies by Love Grows Wild
Paleo Chocolate Cranberry Cookies by Nesting with Grace | Raspberry Gingersnap Sandwiches by anderson + grant | Christmas Tree Gingerbread Cookies by Rooms for Rent | Large Thumbprint Cookies by So Much Better with Age | Rum Balls by Tidy Mom
Countdown to Christmas Cookies by House 214 Design | GF + DF Gingerbread Sugar Cookies by Zevy Joy | Christmas Shortbread Cookies by Boxwood Avenue | Double Chocolate Christmas Cookies by Nest of Posies | Almond Sugar Cookies by My Sweet Savannah