This Really Good Macaroni Salad recipe is one of my favorite recipes thanks to a few special touches and ingredients. I think you’re going to love it too!
So, I stumbled upon a photo of macaroni salad this morning and had an immediate craving. Shame on you, Pinterest. Normally I can subdue these cravings, but with thoughts of summer swirling in my head, the desire to whip up a batch of macaroni salad was too powerful to resist.
Also, as some of you have noticed, I’ve been a really bad blogger lately. I’m really sorry about that.
Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out the root of my lack of motivation and creative rut. So I figured that since I need to eat, and working in the kitchen is always comforting, why not start there.
The secret to really good Macaroni Salad:
It’s all in the ingredients. I have lots of special things that I put in my macaroni salad recipe.
For the macaroni salad dressing include:
Now that you know all of the ingredients, let’s whip some up!
How to make the vest Macaroni Salad recipe:
Believe it or not, I’ve never made macaroni salad before. That’s kind of weird, right? To be honest, I was actually intimidated to tackle this today. I seem to fear staple recipes such as this that people have come to know and love.
Everyone has their favorite way to make macaroni salad and anything but their favorite is blasphemy. My dad, for example, makes an amazing macaroni salad. It’s no frills and swimming (in a really good way) in Miracle Whip. I love the stuff as does the rest of my family. If you’re looking for a Miracle Whip based Macaroni Salad recipe, you can find that HERE.
I also have a fondness for more traditional / old-fashioned macaroni salad. The kind made with real mayonnaise. That’s what this recipe calls for.
However, there are a few special ingredients, that in my opinion, make this particular salad bold and special. Those ingredients include sweet pickle juice, sugar, and fresh dill. They really make all the difference. Trust me.
Initially, I thought about naming this recipe The Best Ever Macaroni Salad.
However, that’s a lot of pressure for a salad. Instead, I decided on Really Good Macaroni Salad. Give it a try. I’m sure you’ll agree. (Check out more of my favorite appetizer recipes HERE.)
For more Easy Pasta Salad Recipes, Check Out:
- Really Good Pasta Salad
- Ramen Noodle Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Fall Harvest Pasta Salad
Macaroni Salad Recipe:
Really Good Macaroni Salad
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups elbow macaroni - 1 lb box, cooked
- 1/2 large white onion - finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks - finely chopped
- 5-6 sweet pickles - finely chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs - chopped
- 1 cup green olives - pimento-stuffed, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill - chopped
- Additional fresh dill for garnish
- Begin by cooking the macaroni according to the package directions. Cook al dente. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside..
- For the dressing, in a medium-size bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, pickle juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl, add the macaroni, onion, celery, pickles, green olives, and dressing. Stir well to coat. Then add the hard-boiled eggs and dill. Stir again to coat. Add extra salt or pepper to taste. Chill in the refrigerator or transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh dill before serving.