This Pumpkin Cake is an easy recipe for when those pumpkin spice cravings hit. With its crunchy crumb topping, this delicious cake will quickly become your new go-to fall baking treat!
Did you know that pumpkin spice season begins on the morning of September 1!? I’m not sure how it is with other folks, but I’m already excited about celebrating all things fall. While I’m still soaking up every ray of sunshine, the warm weather doesn’t stop me from also savoring yummy autumn goodies such as this Pumpkin Cake!
Over the years, I’ve shared a variety of delectable pumpkin-based recipes. Some of my favorites include Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal, and Frosted Pumpkin Cookies. I’ve been wanting to add a quick, no-fuss pumpkin cake to the collection, and this easy recipe is it!
My favorite thing about this recipe is that you can put it together in under 15 minutes without the use of a mixer. (Win-win!) That means clean-up is almost as fast as the preparation!
The resulting Pumpkin Cake is moist and packed with the fall pumpkin spice flavor that so many of us love! And don’t get me started on the crumb topping! You don’t need frosting when you have a crumb topping as good as this one.
Let me walk you through the recipe for this easy Pumpkin Cake with Crumb Topping.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake:
Start by preparing the crumb topping on the stove. This comes together with brown sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, and flour.
Once it’s mixture is ready, transfer it to a sheet of wax or parchment paper and allow it to cool. (Don’t make the mistake I did of letting the topping sit in the pan. It will stick to the pan and be a bit of a challenge to remove.)
While the crumb topping cools, prepare the pumpkin cake batter by mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. No mixer is required!
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones until everything is just combined. As with any cake, be careful not to over mix.
To bake this recipe I used one of my favorite 8×10-inch baking dishes from Staub. I have this baking set and I used them constantly! I adore the quality of Staub products.
With the batter in the pan, break the cooled topping into chunks/crumbs and evenly sprinkle them on top.
Now, you’re ready to bake! Once your cake cools, dig in!
You can serve this Pumpkin Cake warm, but it will be equally tasty in the next day or two. Just store it in the pan covered with plastic wrap.
Enjoy this Pumpkin Cake? You’ll love these pumpkin-inspired treats:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- Pumpkin Spice Cream Horns
- Pumpkin White Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Slab Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cookies
- Pumpkin Whoppie Pies
This Pumpkin Cake with Crumb Topping is truly that simple. My dad and his wife visited my house (to check out my new kitchen) a couple of days after I made this cake, and they gave it rave reviews.
Happy Baking! And Happy Pumpkin Spice Season!
Pumpkin Cake with Crumb Topping Recipe:
Pumpkin Cake with Crumb Topping
- Begin by preparing the topping. In a medium saucepan, cook the brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and then whisk in the flour until smooth. Transfer to a sheet of wax (or parchmenpaper. Cool completely.
- Next, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Spray an 8x10-inch rectangular baking pawith cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, whisking until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Then break the cooled topping into chunks/crumbs and sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.