This cinnamon sugar cake is one of the simplest recipes but yields delicious results. With two tiers of moist white cinnamon cake and a homemade cinnamon buttercream cream frosting, everyone is going to love this easy cake recipe!
Easy Cinnamon Sugar Cake
Today we are making this cinnamon sugar cake, a super easy cake recipe!
I did have my mom get the recipe (her friend is a cook at the cafe), but after some research, I found out it was a Taste of Home recipe. So, thank you, Taste of Home!
You’ll be shocked at how easily this beautiful cake comes together. In fact, you’ll be able to make it even if you don’t have any baking or cake decorating experience at all.
There are two parts to this delicious easy cake recipe – the cake and the frosting. Both are homemade (or semi-homemade). Elevate the flavors by using the freshest ingredients you can find! Here’s what you need:
Cinnamon Sugar Cake
- White Cake Mix – The flavors stand out best if you use a white cake mix.
- Milk – Any type of unflavored, full-fat milk will work.
- Sour Cream – For a richer cake, use full-fat sour cream.
- Unsalted Butter – Make sure it is unsalted and melted.
- Eggs – These are the emulsifiers; use large or medium eggs.
- Ground Cinnamon – You can’t have cinnamon sugar cake without cinnamon!
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Use a real vanilla extract for a deeper flavor profile.
Homemade Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted Butter – Use softened butter; it will whip better.
- Powdered Sugar – If you want this to be sugar-free, use a confectioner’s sugar substitute.
- Milk – Whole-fat milk will give the buttercream frosting a richer flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon – This not only gives the frosting the flavor but also the light brown specks.
- Vanilla Extract – Use real vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon-Sugar – Save a little extra cinnamon sugar for the topping.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Cake
This cake is insanely easy to make, and I can’t begin to describe how delicious it is. The actual cake is so moist – it’s incredible. And the simplicity of the cinnamon and sugar is magical.
It’s Cinnamon Toast Crunch in cake form, but 100 times better! Something like that.
Honestly, If you’re ever in a pinch for a quick dessert, give this a try. All you have to do is mix all the cake ingredients together. Then, bake two 9-inch cakes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
While the cakes cool off, make the homemade buttercream frosting. Then, add the frosting to the cakes, make the layers, and add even more frosting to the top and sides.
Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar – that’s it!
To dress it up, I used some washi tape and wood skewers to make a few little flags. I off-centered them on the cake. Simple, but still super cute.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cinnamon Sugar Cake
Before we get to the printable recipe card, here are some questions people often ask about how to make this easy cake recipe. If you don’t see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
Can you freeze this cake?
Yes, this cake will freeze perfectly. If you are going to freeze the cake, I suggest doing so without the frosting.
Wrap each cake individually in plastic wrap and store them in a resealable freezer-safe bag. The cakes will stay fresh in the freezer for about six months.
How do you make an easy cake recipe that is gluten-free?
All you have to do is use gluten-free white cake mix! Everything else in this recipe is naturally gluten-free.
How do you make dairy-free buttercream frosting?
If you want to make the buttercream frosting dairy-free, just use almond or oat milk instead of dairy milk. Then, use ghee in place of butter.
That’s a Wrap On This Easy Cake Recipe!
What makes this cinnamon sugar cake such an easy cake recipe is that it’s made with a box cake mix.
However, with just a few simple tweaks, tricks, and additions, it becomes a really delicious cake that will certainly please everyone’s palette!
In case you’re looking for more easy dessert recipes, try these!
I hope you enjoyed this easy cake recipe for this delicious cinnamon sugar cake!
Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!
LOVE THIS RECIPE AND WANT MORE?
Join the IBC Mailing List to get all of my recipes, projects, and ideas sent straight to your inbox! I hope you’ll also join me on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter) for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks at my work and adventures.
Have you tried this recipe? Follow me on Instagram, then share YOUR dish with #myIBC and tag @inspiredbycharm. It’s fun to see how folks are using recipes from IBC.
Cinnamon Sugar Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the cake. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium speed for 2 minutes. Transfer the batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy – about five minutes. Add the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Then, assemble the cake by spreading the frosting between the layers, over the top, and on the sides. Sprinkle the top and sides with the cinnamon-sugar.