Today I’m remixing another old-fashioned dessert just in time for summer BBQ season! It’s a RITZ Cracker and Mixed Berry Icebox Cake.
This icebox cake is the perfect combination of salty and sweet topped with fresh summer berry flavor! So I thought I’d create this classic icebox cake in a new way using RITZ Crackers, homemade whipped cream, and fresh berries. It’s a wonderful way to cool down and enjoy the flavor and fun of an unforgettable summer.
This recipe idea is based on a classic one. The traditional dessert is a no-bake recipe consisting of RITZ Crackers, whipped topping, and grape jelly. Yep, that’s it. However, I decided to take it to the next level by whipping up my own whipped cream and adding cream cheese and mixed berry jam. I also topped the whole thing off with a pile of fresh berries because … why not?
To create my version, you start by whipping up a big batch of whipped cream. Cream cheese, powdered sugar, and mixed berry jam are then combined and slowly folded into the whipped cream to create the sweet and fluffy part of this dessert.
Now, the fun starts. The cake is formed by layering RITZ Crackers with this sweet berry filling.
I started mine on a cake plate. Then, I added just the outer ring of a spring form pan. Doing this isn’t required, but I found it helped to hold everything together and ensure that the layers didn’t slide as they set.
I began with a layer of crackers, then a layer of mixed berry whipped cream. I put my whipped cream into a piping bag which made adding it to the crackers much easier. I then used a small offset spatula to level everything off.
Continue adding layer by layer until you reach the top. I used about 6 sleeves of RITZ Crackers (1 1/2 box) and most of my mixed berry whipped cream. You can reserve a bit of your whipped cream to add the fresh berries on top before serving.
Next, the whole cake gets refrigerated for 4-5 hours or until you’re ready to serve it. Before serving, add a dollop of the reserved mixed berry whipped cream and top with a mound of fresh berries. How’s that for Remix Your BBQ dessert? Mission accomplished, NABISCO!
As I mentioned above, the resulting dessert is the perfect combination of salty meets sweet. The addition of mixed berry jam and fresh berries add just the perfect taste for summer. You’re going to be the king or queen of your next BBQ.
For more fun, try some of these easy and inexpensive BBQ decor ideas:
- Instead of fresh flowers, use seasonal blooms such as geraniums and petunias to add color to your party.
- Pick up some inexpensive handkerchiefs to use as decor. They can dress up a table, line a basket for chips, or function as a napkin.
- Use some galvanized steel server ware. It’s a beautiful and trendy metal for outdoor entertaining.
- Save your fancy glassware for inside. Opt for mason jars with paper straws. They are durable and fun.
I think your summer BBQ is ready. Let’s whip up this cake so we can get to the fun!
[ibc_recipe id=”15253″ ][/ibc_recipe]
Isn’t it gorgeous? I love how simple and delicious ingredients can make a beautiful and delicious dessert in no time!
This will definitely wow your guests this summer. It’s the perfect dessert for any celebration.
I hope you enjoyed my delicious remix of a classic desert with this RITZ Cracker and Mixed Berry Icebox Cake. Cheers to summer!
RITZ Cracker and Mixed Berry Icebox Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Continuing whipping until firm peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, mixed berry jam, and 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold into the prepared whipped cream until evenly combined. Divide into three large piping bags. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Assemble the cake by arranging a layer of RITZ Crackers on a cake plate or serving dish using a springform pan ring as a guide. (The springform pan ring is optional but recommended.) Pipe about 3/4 cup of the mixed berry whipped cream on the crackers. Spread the whipped cream out evenly with a small offset spatula. Repeat the cracker and filling layers until you reach the top of the pan or desired height. The top layer should be the mixed berry cream.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours or until ready to serve. When ready to serve, top with any extra mixed berry whipped cream and a mound of fresh berries.