Learn how to make these delicious and beautiful Mixed Berry Mini Pies. They make the perfect dessert for any celebration.
Mixed Berry Mini Pies:
Sometimes creating something unique and special can be as easy as putting a twist on a classic. For example, a traditional mixed berry pie becomes Mixed Berry Mini Pies for Valentine’s Day with a bit of creativity and some cute mini heart dishes.
Yes, friends, I’m back with more Valentine’s Day treats. I can’t help myself. As you may know, I write a monthly post for the HomeGoods Design Happy blog. This month, it’s all about Mixed Berry Mini Pies. I was inspired to make these pies when I found these mini heart-shaped baking dishes at HomeGoods. Aren’t they adorable?
Now, I could have opted for something like a soufflé or cake, but I just couldn’t resist the opportunity to use these baking dishes for something a little different: a pot pie! Yes, I realize that when most folks hear the term “pot pie,” they probably assume it’s a chicken pot pie. Not this time; bring on the berries!
How to Make Mixed Berry Mini Pies:
As you would expect, these mini pies come together fairly easily. Start with pie dough. I recommend my go-to recipe, but you can use whatever recipe you like. Even store-bought dough will do.
Next, fill the pie shell with a berry filling. You can use whatever you’d like. I mixed raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. I added a couple pats of butter on top for extra richness. Everything gets sealed in with another piece of pie crust and then finished off with an egg wash and sprinkle of coarse sugar for a sparkling golden brown crust.
These are fabulous on their own, but you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a few extra berries to garnish. For me, fruit pie is incomplete unless it’s topped with ice cream. However .. you do you.
No matter how you serve them, I promise that you and your valentine will love these heart-shaped mini pies.
Want more pie recipes? Check out my favorites below:
- Apple-Cranberry Slab Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie
- Mason Jar Blueberry Pies
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
- Strawberry Hand Pies
I also hope you’ll give this recipe a try. However, if pie is not your thing, check out this post here. I’ve linked up a handful of my favorite Valentine’s Day treats HERE. I’m certain you’ll find something to love.
Mixed Berry Mini Pie Recipe:
Mixed Berry Mini Pies
- 1 recipe Pie Dough - your favorite, store-bought, or my go-to recipe
- 7 cups fresh mixed berries - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - cubed
- 1 egg - beaten
- Coarse sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the berries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roll out your pie dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut in sections, making sure you have enough dough to fill 5-6 mini pie dishes plus 5-6 additional pieces to top each pie. (The size of your particular pie dishes will determine how many mini-pies this recipe will make.)
- Fill each dish with the pie dough, allowing any excess dough to hang over the edge. Then, evenly fill each with the prepared mixed berry filling.
- Brush the lip of the pie dough on the dishes with an egg wash and then top with the remaining pie dough pieces. Pinch or use a fork to seal. Trim off any excess dough around the sides of the dish.
- Use a knife to cut two vents into the top of the dough. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Set the pot pies on a baking sheet and place the sheet in the oven. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the pies to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.