This Mixed Berry Banana Bread is a delicious and easy-to-prepare treat for summer or any time of year.
The inspiration for this banana bread came from my visit to Maui a couple years ago. Bananas are plentiful in the state of Hawaii and so is banana bread. I sampled lots of it and enjoyed every bite.
Like the Apricot and Honey Banana Bread I shared here, the basic recipe for this bread comes from my dad. (When I was growing up, banana bread was part of his culinary repertoire. In case you’re wondering, he also made macaroni salad, sloppy joes, and no-bake cookies. Simple but tasty fare was his specialty.)
Find all three delicious variations of this banana bread HERE.
How to make Mixed Berry Banana Bread:
Once the basic banana bread mixture is ready, you gently fold in several kinds of berries, flax seed, and almonds. To dress up the loaf, I also sprinkled a few of these additions on top before baking.
As I noted in the Apricot and Honey Banana Bread post, this recipe calls for butter flavor shortening. Although you might be tempted to substitute regular butter, please don’t. The vegetable shortening contributes to that wonderful dark brown outer layer on the banana bread.
After the aroma of this Mixed Berry Banana Bread wafts from your oven for about an hour, this delightful treat will be ready to serve. I promise it will look and taste as good as it smells.
If you liked this Banana Bread Recipe, you’ll love these too:
- Cinnamon Roll Skillet Bread
- Really Good Blueberry Muffins
- Apricot and Honey Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Sour Cream Quick Bread
- Braided Nutella Bread
Mixed Berry Banana Bread Recipe:
Mixed Berry Banana Bread
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom insides of two 9x5-inch loaf pans with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter flavor shortening until combined. Next, beat in the eggs and vanilla. Finally, add the bananas and beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Gently fold in the three additional ingredients until just combined but evenly distributed.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pans to continue cooling on a wire rack.