This Guinness Float (or Guinness Shake) is a surprisingly delicious combination of Guinness Draught and ice cream to create on tasty dessert-inspired cocktail.
For a while now someone has been asking me via the comments to share a recipe for a Guinness Float. I tried to track the comments down, but I couldn’t find them. So hopefully the individual/s who requested this will leave another comment after reading today’s post.
Anyway, with St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I thought this was the prefect time to tackle this challenge. Plus, Guinness is actually one of my top five favorite beers. Now, I know some of you probably don’t like beer, even more of you probably don’t like Guinness, and even more of you think putting ice cream in beer is totally gross. However, if you ever get the chance to try this combination, I highly recommend you take a taste.
To me, Guinness almost has a chocolaty / coffee flavor, so if you consider that, putting it with ice cream is a no brainer. Also, because of the flavor, you might even try different flavors of ice cream, including vanilla, chocolate, or even coffee! I used a combination of vanilla and chocolate. Knowing all of this, even I was a little anxious about how the final product would taste. Needless to say (since I’m sharing the recipe with you), the combination is pretty fantastic. It may become another of my go-to treats!
How to Make Guinness Float:
Though it’s pretty straightforward, today I’m sharing two ways to enjoy this delicious combination. The ingredients are basically the same; it’s just the method that varies. This recipe makes two drinks. Let’s get shaking.
It’s that simple!
Even though the flavor is the same, I prefer the shake. I like all of the flavors nicely combined into silky smoothy goodness.
Seriously, give this a try. I think you’re going to love it. Happy St. Paddy’s Day!
Guinness Float (Guiness Shake) Recipe:
Guinness Float (or Guinness Shake)
- 1 bottle Guinness Stout Beer - chilled
- 2 cups ice cream - vanilla, chocolate, or coffee
- Chocolate syrup - optional garnish
- Float: Add a cup of ice cream to a glass. Then, slowly pour half of the Guinness over the top of the ice cream. (It will fizz and bubble so pouring slowly is a must.) Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve with a straw. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second float.
- Shake: To a blender, add the ice cream and Guinness. Blend until smooth. Pour in to a glass. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve with a straw.