Apparently, I’m craving pie. On Monday I shared my recipe for Mixed Berry Pot Pies, and today I’m back with these Purrrfect Berry Hand Pies. This isn’t a bad thing, though. I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as “too much pie.” Right?
Purrrfect Berry Hand Pies:
These cat-inspired pies, or as I like to call them, Purrrfect Berry Hand Pies, sort of happened by accident. My first idea was to make tiny pie lollipops. However, I decided they weren’t something you’d want to serve or gift. They looked kind of cute but tasted blah. The reason: I couldn’t get much filling in them because they were small and the stick took up space. (Yes, I do have kitchen fails you never see on the blog!)
That’s when I remembered this cat face cookie cutter I purchased last year when I bought the sweater cookie cutter for my Sweater Weather Sugar Cookies. Problem solved. I would make cat-inspired hand pies instead. Which, to my delight, turned out even cuter.
How to Make Berry Hand Pies:
If you’re new to pie baking, these are actually quite easy. Just keep in mind a few simple tips.
First, you can use my pie crust recipe, your favorite recipe, or even a store-bought pie dough.
Second, you’ll want a cookie cutter that’s fairly large without a lot of detail. I chose a cat face, but you can use any shape you’d like.
Third, before adding filling to your base pie crust, brush a bit of egg wash around the edge. This will help seal the top and bottom crusts together.
And finally, bake your hand pies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat. You’ll notice I didn’t do this. You’ll also see I started with 12 unbaked hand pies and finished with 9 baked hand pies. Don’t make the same mistake.
Other than that, these are pretty straightforward. I opted to finish my pies with a sprinkle of coarse sugar, but you could top them with a simple confectioners’ sugar and milk glaze if you like something sweeter.
No matter how you make them, they are the purrrfect handheld treat. Don’t you agree?
I hope you enjoyed this tasty and fun recipe for my Purrrfect Berry Hand Pies, if you give them a try, please share the results via Instagram! I love seeing your creations. Just tag @inspiredbycharm so I get a notification.
Purrrfect Berry Hand Pies Recipe:
Berry Hand Pies
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the berries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mix to combine and mash up the berries into smaller pieces with a fork.
- Then roll out your pie dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out 20-24 shapes. Set half of the cut pie pieces to the side.
- Brush the border of the remaining pieces with egg wash. Then spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the berry pie filling into the center of each.
- Next top them with the remaining pie dough pieces. Press the edges together with the tines of a fork to seal. Place the pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the pies 20-22 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.