Butterscotch Pumpkin Cheerio Treat BarsThis Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy
Last night I shared this image on Inspired by Charm’s Facebook Page. The image made me (and lots of you) chuckle. Even though some folks still refuse to accept that the Season of Pumpkin Spice is upon us, I’m welcoming it with open arms. And since September starts today, I’m kicking off fall baking with these Butterscotch Pumpkin Cheerio Treat Bars.
If these bars are giving you a sense of déjà vu, there’s a reason. They are inspired by the recipe I shared last year for Emily’s Cheerio Treat Bars.
A few weeks ago I saw on social media that Pumpkin Spiced Cheerios were coming out this fall. As soon as I learned this, I knew I had to recreate the bars, and my hunt for the cereal began. I finally found it last weekend when I was in State College, and this week I decided to whip up a batch of the bars.
What I love about these Butterscotch Pumpkin Cheerio Treat Bars is that actually no baking is required. In fact, the only kitchen appliance you need is a microwave. It doesn’t get much easier than that. These bars can be made in under 10 minutes. You can dig in as soon as the chocolate sets.
The original recipe for these treat bars features the classically delicious pairing of peanut butter and chocolate. To give my version a new and seasonal twist, I opted for butterscotch, pumpkin spice, and white chocolate.
(Since I’m a big fan of butterscotch, I’m slightly obsessed with this lavor twist. However, if butterscotch isn’t your jam, feel free to substitute peanut butter chips. I’m sure they would be equally wonderful.)
I also added a couple spices: pumpkin spice to the bars and cinnamon to the white chocolate drizzle. These spices bring out the seasonal warmth and flavor of the treats.
All-in-all, I’m totally loving these easy-to-make bars.
I think that all of us who are ready for Pumpkin Spice Season should make a batch of these for our friends who are hating on anything fall at the moment. I guarantee that after one bite, we will have won them over to our side.
Totally simple, right?
Give these guys a try and let me know what you think. Happy Fall!
PS. In case you’re wondering how the Pumpkin Spice Cheerios taste on their own, I think they’re pretty yummy. I haven’t had them with milk yet, but they make a splendid afternoon snack right out of the box.
Butterscotch Pumpkin Cheerio Treat Bars
- 11 oz. bag about 1 ½ cups butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups Pumpkin Spice Cheerios
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Lightly spray a 9×13″ cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butterscotch chips, light corn syrup, butter, and mini marshmallows on high for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir after each minute.
- Stir in the pumpkin pie spice until evenly mixed.
- Add the Cheerios and quickly mix them in until they are evenly coated.
- Press the Cheerio mixture into your prepared pan. Press with a spoon (or your hands) that have been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Heat at 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Heat until smooth; then stir in the cinnamon.
- Spread the chocolate evenly over the bars. (Alternatively, add the melted white chocolate to a plastic baggie and then snip off one corner of the baggie in order to drizzle the chocolate over the bars.)
- Refrigerate for about one hour or until firm. Slice and serve. Store in an airtight container.
My family loves Krispie treats – could they be substituted? I adore your ideas!!! Thank you!!
Michael these sound incredible, PUMPKIN SPICE CHERRIOS? They must be amazing, praying that they bring them to the UK one day!
one word- GENIUS!
Oh my gosh I’m going to the store right now to get the ingredients!!! And where did those super cute shiny pumpkins come from??