It’s looking like I might be that blogger who makes treat bars with every new flavor of Cheerios. I’m cool with that! My latest: Strawberry Cheerio Treat Bars.
A couple years ago I shared the recipe for my friend Emily’s Cheerio Treat Bars. This past fall I adapted that recipe using the new Pumpkin Spice Cheerios. So of course, when I spotted these new Strawberry Cheerios at the store last week, my mind immediately turned to treat bars.
However, I was on a shopping mission and didn’t give the cereal any more thought until later in the day when I got a message from my friend @SweetShadeLane on Twitter. She tweeted me an image of a box of the new Cheerios which led to a discussion of how these new treat bars should be created. While I knew that white chocolate was a must, she suggested using freeze-dried strawberries. I was immediately sold. So a big thank you to her for helping me decide on the ingredients for these Strawberry Cheerio Treat Bars.
If you’ve never made a bar like this, you need to know that they are so simple! It’s one of the reasons I love them. The process is the same as for making crispy rice treats, but a few extra ingredients are used.
White chocolate chips, corn syrup, butter, and mini marshmallows (Hey, I didn’t say these bars are healthy!) get melted in the microwave until smooth. Then the cereal goes in. I also mixed in a cup of roughly chopped freeze-dried strawberries.
Mix everything together as quickly possible because the mixture will start to stiffen up pretty fast. Pour the cheerio mixture into a greased pan and press the mixture down with your hands. Then drizzle melted white chocolate on top and sprinkle with a few more chopped freeze-dried strawberries. That’s it, folks. I told you these treats were easy.
And they’re yummy, too! They are a bright and fruity take on the classic, making them perfect for spring and summer. Plus, who doesn’t love a delicious, fantastic-looking snack that you can whip up in 15 minutes. Right?.
Pretty, right? Those bright red strawberries made all the difference.
Now if I can come up with something for winter, we’ll have Cheerio treat bars for every season.
Strawberry Cheerio Treat Bars
- Lightly spray a 9×13″ cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate chips, light corn syrup, butter, mini marshmallows, and a pinch of salt on high for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir after each minute.
- Add the Cheerios and 1 cup strawberries and quickly mix them in until they are evenly coated.
- Press the Cheerio mixture into your prepared pan. Press with a spoon (or your hand) that’s been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Heat at 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Heat until smooth.
- Add the melted white chocolate to a piping bag (or plastic baggie) and then snip off the tip to drizzle the chocolate over the bars. Sprinkle with finely chopped freeze-dried strawberries before the chocolate sets.
- Refrigerate for about one hour or until firm. Slice and serve. Store in an airtight container.