Roasted Vegetable Pasta SaladThis Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy
I know that this is A Year of the Skillet, but sometimes I wish I’d declared it A Year of Pasta Salads. Maybe next year – because I really do love pasta salad. Actually, I love pasta however it’s served.
People often ask “What is your favorite food?” or “If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?” Well, I’m announcing that mine would be pasta, under the condition that I could fix and mix it in whatever way I wanted. Although some folks might not agree, in my opinion, pasta is a blank canvas – the perfect backdrop for the ingredients it’s paired with.
I want to explore and taste all the pastabilities!
Today I’m dreaming of summer picnics with burgers hot off the grill, succulent corn on the cob, and a bowl of colorful pasta salad. This Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad is a delicious twist on the classic recipe. I’m not sure it’s accurate to say this, but this version may be a tiny bit healthier than the traditional variety. This one is loaded with vegetables rather than gratuitous amounts of cheese and pepperoni.
I particularly enjoy this recipe because of the roasted vegetables. Roasting veggies in the oven is one of the easiest and most flavorful ways to cook them. Combine the pasta and roasted vegetables with a splash of pesto sauce, and you have a combination that’s hard to beat.
Also, unlike traditional pasta salad, this salad is served right away, at room temperature. You can chill the salad if you’d like, and to me, it is just as good.
Okay enough talking, let’s get cooking.
Now it’s your turn. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini 1 medium, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup yellow squash 1 medium, chopped
- 1 cup red onion 1 large, chopped
- 3/4 cup green pepper 1 medium, chopped
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper 1 medium, chopped
- 1 small eggplant chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 cup pesto sauce homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil julienned for garnish
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. In a roasting or sheet pan combine zucchini, yellow squash, onion, peppers, and eggplant. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir a couple times throughout the roasting process.
- Transfer the roasted veggies to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse, and cool slightly. Add the pasta to the roasted vegetables and gently mix together.
- Next, add the pesto and stir gently to coat the pasta and veggies. Finally, mix in the cherry tomatoes and season the salad to taste with additional salt at pepper. Garnish with fresh julienned basil.
I’m always looking for unique pasta salad recipes – thank you for this one. It’s a winner.
I made this for our Memorial day grill out and it was a huge hit! Lots of flavor, but really light and refreshing. Thanks for sharing!
Yay!! So glad you enjoyed it. 🙂
why can’t I SHARE the recipe via email, when I click on my SHARE button your recipe doesn’t come up…
Where are you seeing the option to Share? I don’t believe I have a share recipe feature set up on the blog. Let me know so I can try an help.
This looks incredible, something I’ll definitely be trying out in the near future!
I’m thinking of making this for a shower I’m hosting and I’m wondering if you think this could be made a day in advance? If so, should I do anything different?
Mary – that should be okay. At the very least, you might want to wait to add the tomatoes and basil until just before serving. I think the rest would be okay. Or prepare all the ingredients in advance, then just mix everything the day of the shower.
Hope that helps!
It looks delicious! And I agree, pasta is the perfect blank canvas.
Yum! With a house full of runners we eat a lot of pasta. I’m certainly going to try your recipe. Congratulations on the new blog design. It’s fantastic. Don’t forget I owe you a cocktail next time you are in NY.
Michael, this looks delicious and healthy. Exactly what I have been craving. How many servings for the amounts you listed? The new website is a joy to read. Thanks!
Sue, Thanks so much! I suppose it all depends on the serving size. As a side dish, I would say around 12 people give or take.
Oh Michael, I LOVE me some pasta! I will be making this for sure. On a side note, I think the new site is AWESOME, andas I said before, I look at the photos then read-so it is really nice and easy to read on my phone. The hand lettered font in GOLD is “ON-point” (as my 12 year old son would say.;))! Nice work-you should be very proud!
You are too kind Vanessa! Thank you SO much! And to your son too. Haha!
Pastabilities! I love it!
This looks delicious.
Thanks, it is. 🙂