Mason Jar Blueberry PiesThis Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy
The other day when I posted a teaser on Instagram showing the Mason Jar Blueberry Pies I was baking, lots of folks went bananas. I wish I could say that I came up with the idea of baking things in mason jars, but I can’t. What I can do is show you what I make and then share as many recipes as possible.
For those of you who didn’t know, it is possible to bake in a mason jar. Please keep in mind this isn’t an “approved” use of a mason jar, so if a jar happens to blow up in your oven, I take no responsibility. However, I am on my third mason jar-inspired recipe, and thus far, I haven’t experienced any broken or cracked glass.
Anywho, when I was growing up, pies were synonymous with celebrations. Whether it was a holiday, someone’s birthday, or a big Sunday dinner, it seemed like a homemade pie was always there to finish off a yummy meal.
Today, I wanted to share a few of my tips and help you create some adorable pies that are worthy of a birthday celebration. (I figured it was only approbate as I just celebrated my 32nd birthday yesterday.)
Instead of creating a traditional pie, I thought it would be fun to mix it up. Here, I’m going to show you how to make these cute and delicious Mason Jar Blueberry Pies.
To keep things simple, I decided to use a store-bought crust for this particular recipe. I wouldn’t recommend this for a more traditional pie, but it works well for this version. Plus, it will save you some time.
I think we’re ready to start baking. Let’s take a look at the recipe.
I made four of these and ate them all by myself (not in one sitting!), and I didn’t even have them with ice cream. They were THAT good.
Give these a try and let me know what you think.
For more mason jar baking ideas, check out my recipes for Strawberry Rhubarb Cobblers and Mini Mason Jar Cheesecakes. They are too cute and so delicious.
Once you give one of these recipes a try, stop back and let me know what you think. Would you like to see more mason jar baking here on IBC?
Mason Jar Blueberry Pies
- 1 box (2 rolls) refrigerated pie dough or homemade pie dough*
- 3 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Coarse sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl, mix together the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and water. When stirring, break up a few of the berries to release some juice. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll your pie dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to increase its size by 15%. Next, cut three circles out of one of the pieces of pie dough and another circle out of the second piece of dough. Each dough circle should be about 1 1/2 inches larger than the rim of your mason jar. With the remaining dough, use a star cookie cutter to cut out four stars. These stars will be the tops for your pies.
- Place a cut dough circle into each mason jar, being careful not to stretch the dough.
- Next, evenly divide the blueberry mixture among the dough-lined mason jars. Place a star cut from the dough on top of each pie. Trim off any access dough from the rim.
- Lightly brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place the mason jars on a cookie sheet for baking.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
What size are the jars? Is it the short 8oz?
Hey Kristen, these are the ones I used: https://amzn.to/2I6jYDH
Hope that helps!
Perfect, thank you! Making them this weekend!
Mason jar desserts rock! These berry pies look adorable!
Yes please!! More mason jar baking!!! Please, please, please!!
First of all,HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL W!!
Secondly, thank you for sharing these beautiful blueberry confections with us, yes, even though you were under no obligation! ?
Wishing you half a century + more years!!
These are so stinking cute! I have mason jars like this and use them for everything, but I never thought of making little pies in them. Such a good idea!! http://www.ourfoodieappetite.com/
You are inspiring me, I think I need to use my coupons and head out to purchase some mason jars. I am actually having a very tiny and casual dinner party tonight so I might have to whip up some of these today! Blackberry is my favorite, so I may mix this up and switch out the berries.