This Homemade Pizza Bread recipe has quickly become a go-to appetizer recipe for me. Its versatility and great pizza flavor make it a party favorite.
My A Year of Yeast series has been running for more than half a year now. That’s kind of hard to believe. Needless to say, yeast and I have become good buddies at this point.
Although the fear has pretty much subsided, I still have no idea how to tell if some of the breads are baked the whole way through. I just follow the recipe, and thankfully, they haven’t let me down yet.
Today we are making this crazy delicious pizza bread recipe!
Tasty Pizza Bread
Of all of the recipes I’ve tried thus far, today’s is probably my favorite (with the cinnamon bun bites being a close second). I made homemade pizza bread!
I actually discovered this recipe a few years ago. When it recently popped up on Pinterest again, I took it as a sign that I needed to make the bread.
How to Make Homemade Pizza Bread
Now, I know everyone has their favorite pizza bread recipe. My dad’s wife has a recipe that is fantastic! This one is a little different as all the ingredients are actually incorporated into the dough.
The resulting bread is really, really sensational. There is flavor in every single nibble in this delicious recipe. A layer of cheese inside and a side of marinara sauce bring it all together.
What I love about this recipe is that you can change the “toppings” to suit you or the folks you’re fixing it for. When I was putting this all together, I was thinking of so many fun combinations. I’m hoping to try a few for different Bayberry House gatherings, and I’ll report back when I do.
The actual bread part is pretty basic – so the options are truly endless!
Fresh Ingredients for the Dough
The best part about this easy bread is that you can add all of your favorite pizza toppings right into the bread dough. You literally knead them in with the flour and eggs.
Here are the ingredients I used:
- sun-dried tomatoes
- green onions
- black olives
- red pepper
- green pepper
- roasted garlic
- parmesan cheese
It’s like a supreme pizza. Yum!
How to Serve Pizza Bread
You can literally slice it and enjoy a few pieces of pizza bread with your lunch. I like to eat it with something like this shaved Brussels sprouts salad (hey, gotta be healthy).
This bread is also the perfect thing to serve at a huge family dinner. Make your favorite pasta recipe (may I suggest this fantastic one-pan chicken apple sausage pasta?). Then, give everyone some pizza bread on the side.
The original recipe comes from The Ivory Hut – she calls her loaf Crazy Pizza Bread. I actually ended up changing her recipe quite a bit because I felt there wasn’t enough dough. I was afraid I was going to get a pretty small loaf.
Well, I was glad I opted for a larger size because this stuff is sensational.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions people often ask about homemade pizza bread. If you don’t see your question in this list, please leave it in the comments.
What kind of dip can I serve with this bread?
Since this is a pizza bread, I suggest serving it with your favorite marinara sauce. I bet some extra cheesy alfredo sauce would be divine with it too.
How long does pizza bread last?
If you store it in an airtight bag or container, it will stay fresh for about 3-5 days. I suggest keeping it in the refrigerator so that it lasts longer.
Can you freeze pizza bread?
Yes, pizza bread is very freezer-friendly. Wrap the entire loaf nice and tight with plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe food storage bag or container. The pizza bread will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How do you make it spicier?
If you want the pizza bread to have a bit of a kick, I suggest adding some chopped jalapenos to the dough. You can also sprinkle some hot sauce or add some red pepper flakes to the dough. Make it as spicy as you like. That’s the fun part about baking!
Looking for more appetizer recipes? These are some of my favorites:
- Really Good Jalapeño Dip
- Out-of-this-World Corn Dip
- Italian Sub Sandwich Rolls
- Farm-to-Table Inspired Crostini
- Everything Bagel Cheeseball
Seriously, other than chopping all of the ingredients, this Homemade Pizza Bread is easy peasy. I highly recommend it – even to you newbie bread makers. It’s a perfect loaf to test your skills.
Plus, your friends and family (It’s OK if it’s just for you – I don’t judge.) will love it.
Happy baking, everyone! Does your family have a go-to homemade pizza bread? Tell me all about it or share a link to the recipe in the comments.
Pizza Bread Recipe:
Homemade Pizza Bread
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ cups favorite toppings, diced - (I used pepperoni, sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, black olives, red pepper, green pepper, and roasted garlic.)
- ½ cup Parmesan
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar of marinara sauce for dipping
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl. Let it sit for 3 minutes. Add in flour, salt, and sugar. Mix using a spoon just until it comes together. (There’s no need for a big stand mixer here.)
- Add in the toppings and Parmesan and combine well. The dough will be tacky. Dust with a bit more flour if it feels too tacky. Let rise for about 1 hour, then put in the refrigerator to continue rising for another hour.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Flour your countertop, then roll out the dough into a rectangle about 11×17”.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over top. Then, fold along the long side, like an envelope. Seal sides so cheese is not exposed. Let your loaf rest while you preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake the bread, either on a pizza stone or baking sheet, for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.
- About halfway through I added a piece of aluminum foil to the top of my loaf to prevent it from getting too dark. About 3 minutes before taking it out, lightly brush the top with olive oil and let it finish baking. Let rest on a wire rack to cool slightly before slicing.