Learn how to make your own Cheese Crackers at home with this easy recipe. You can even add jalapeños to this recipe for spicy cheese crackers.
Most of you clearly know this by now – I am pretty much obsessed with cheese. That’s why today I’m so excited to share my recipe for these Homemade Cheddar and Jalapeño Cheese Crackers.
Way back in first grade I brought cheese and crackers for snack time at school. My favorite was that sharp cheddar cheese that came in a small plastic tub and was sandwiched between two crackers. It was heaven. I don’t recall many specifics from first grade and kindergarten, but I do remember that. I think it was because one time I forgot my snack and was very upset about it. And by upset I mean totally devastated. Thankfully, being the angel that she is, my mom brought in my snack at some point during the day. It was cheese and crackers.
Cheddar and Jalaepño Cheese Crackers:
This obsession with cheese, unlike many other things, has stayed with me into adulthood. In fact, I love just about anything with cheese.
Armed with two of my favorite cheeses from Cracker Barrel, I knew I couldn’t go wrong. I decided to make two varieties of these crackers. The first would be with Sharp Cheddar Cheese and the second would be with Jalapeño Cheese (I didn’t mean to double up on the heat, but that’s how these things go sometimes.)
Clearly the cheese is the superstar in this recipe. The full, rich, and authentic flavor of Cracker Barrel‘s cheese shines through and packs these little bites with so much flavor you wouldn’t believe it. Plus, one package of cheese is exactly how much you’ll need to make one batch of these delights.
I was actually surprised by how easily they come together. You start with butter and lots of delicious cheese. Mix in some spices, flour, and a little water and the dough just comes together beautifully. I was amazed.
How to make Homemade Cheese Crackers:
As I mentioned above, I made two variations of this recipe. You could use any combination of cheese that you like. You could also add in different spices and ingredients to create a really unique flavor.
Split the dough into two equal discs and chill for thirty minutes. Once chilled, roll out thin.
At this point, I used a pizza slicer to cut out squares. You could also use a cookie or biscuit cutter if you prefer a different shape.
Prick each cracker with a wooden skewer or something similar in shape, pop into the oven, and prepare for your house to smell like cheddar cheese heaven.
If you liked these cheese cracker, then you’ll enjoy these recipes:
- Beer Cheese Dip with Bacon
- The Ultimate Sausage Pizza Dip
- Out-of-this-World Corn Dip
- Really Good Veggie Dip
- BLT Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Let’s check out the full recipe.
Cheddar and Jalapeño Cheese Crackers Recipe:
Homemade Cheddar and Jalapeño Cheese Crackers
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cracker Barrel Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 10 slices of jarred jalapeños - finely chopped
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, cheese, salt, and pepper until blended. With the mixer on low, slowly add flour. At this point, your mixture will become dry and crumbly.
- Mix in chopped jalapeños. Add water, one tablespoon at a time. Beat until the mixture just comes together into a ball. At this point, the mixture should be moist. If it feels wet, simply add a touch more flour. Divide the mixture into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough very thin, about an eighth of an inch thick.
- Then, using a pizza slicer, cut horizontal and vertical lines into your dough to create about 1-inch square crackers. Poke each cracker with a wood skewer or fork. Place crackers on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Cool before serving. Chill in an airtight container for up to three days.
- *To make the Jalapeño Cheese Crackers, simply omit the jalapeños and replace the Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese with Jalapeño cheese.
I can’t begin to tell you how delicious these little suckers are. The taste is similar to those oh-so-familiar crackers you can buy in the store, but nothing compares to the freshness, flakiness, and super cheese-filled flavor of homemade goodies. You’ll be so glad you made them. And trust me on this one, you can do it! Now go give them a try and report back on your success!