Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been slowly showing you more of my home in Pittsburgh. Decorating this new space has been such a fun process. I hope you enjoy watching these spaces unfold as much as I am. Today we’re returning to my living room so you can see how I’ve started to pull together the opposite side of the room.
As I mentioned, I was waiting for my media console to arrive. Thankfully, it’s finally here. And with the help of a few accessories, I have something to share.
This area still needs a few tweaks and minor additions, but I’m loving how this is all coming together.
Side note: If you’re looking for sources of products, please check the end of this post. You can also visit SHOP IBC for more products from my home.
So, let’s talk about the media console – although it’s a sideboard. according to Crate & Barrel. Whatever it’s called, I knew this was “the piece” for a couple reasons. First, black console bridges my living room and the dark cabinets in my kitchen.
Secondly, and maybe most importantly, I’m crazy about this piece. I’ve seen it a couple of times in several interior design layouts, and it caught my attention each time. The glass door fronts will allow me to have fun with decor items, or I can use baskets for hidden storage and texture. Win. Win.
Right now, the console is sparsely decorated, but I did bring in a few key accessories, including, a modern brass and marble globe table lamp. I love how the lamp looks with other elements in the room.
I also found this five-feet-tall cactus. I couldn’t say no to it because it adds great color, movement, and a touch of quirky to this space.
Oh, and I also swapped out a throw pillow on the couch for one I had ordered way back in May when I was in NYC. It was on back order forever. I’m loving it!
Now, there are still a few more things I want to do in this space and some others I’m on the fence about. Let me walk you through my thoughts:
1. A rug. It was actually just delivered after I shot these photos, so stay tuned for that.
2. I might paint the wall behind the TV. (In fact, I’ve thought about painting the entire apartment as I greatly dislike these builder beige walls. I’d rather have white, however, I’m not sure it’s worth it since I’ll have to repaint them beige when I move out.)
3. The white box to the right of the TV is where my HVAC unit is located. Should I simply ignore it or should I attempt to “hide” it? I feel like trying to camouflage it might make it stand out more.
4. I’m also considering adding shelving to the left of the cactus. It doesn’t show in any of these photos, but I have about four feet to work with. I’m not sure if I truly need shelves or if they would just be an invitation to clutter. Art may be a better choice.
5. I’d still like to get new end tables and lamps.
7. Finally, I’m also wondering about curtains. I’m on the fence about them, but my guess is they would make the whole place feel cozier.
If you have opinions, thoughts, or advice on any of this, please let me know in the comments.
Also, in case you’ve missed any of my apartment updates, you can check them all out here.
I hope you enjoyed seeing this side of my living room. Stay tuned for more!
Sofa | West Elm
Side Chair | West Elm
Pillow | Rejuvenation
Media Cabinet | Crate & Barrel
Overhead Light | Schoolhouse Electric
Accent Lamp | West Elm
Planter | Rejuvenation
Side Table / Bench | HomeGoods
Weiner Dog | Anthropologie (no long sold)
Gold Dot Planter | Anthropologie (no long sold)
Coffee Table | West Elm (no long sold)