instead of making the standard of chocolate dipped strawberries for valentine’s day 2010, i thought i’d mix it up and try something new. i’ve never made meringues before and must admit i was a little intimidated. turns out it isn’t that difficult! the recipe i found seemed a little…blah… so i perked things up with some good vanilla and a little red food coloring.
all in all, not to bad. i love taking standard recipes and making them special with ingredients that i love (well, who doesn’t love vanilla). i’m able to take something and make it my own.
Authentic French Meringues
Adapted from: allrecipes.com
8 eggs whites (room temperature – this is important!!)
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 drop ‘good’ (as ina garten would say) vanilla
1 drop red food coloring
Melted butter and flour (for baking sheet)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Brush baking sheet with melted butter, then flour. Crack your eggs separating your yolks from your whites.
2. In a glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy with electric mixer. Sprinkle in sugar a little at a time while continuing to whip at medium speed.
3. Add vanilla and food coloring.
4. When mixture forms stiff peaks and becomes shiny, stop mixing and transfer to a large pastry bag. (I didn’t have one, so I just used a ziploc bag with a small hole cut in the corner.) Then have fun piping. Round shapes or stars (formed with a star tip on your pastry bag) are most common.
spell out a word, a date, a name…
5. Place the meringues in the oven. Put a wooden spoon handle in the door to keep the oven from completely closing. Bake for 2-3 hours (depending on size), until the meringues are dry (all the way through – I just taste tested one!). Meringues should easily remove from sheet.
4. Allow meringues to cool completely. Eat … or store in an airtight container at room temp.
ta-da! don’t they look great? and they taste yummy too!!
how would you make this recipe your own? maybe add chocolate? lemon zest? cotton candy flavoring? espresso? endless options. try one. let me know how it turns out.
and don’t forget about our sweet giveaway. comment now through friday and you could win!